SDP Hails Court Victory, Insists Leadership Crisis Settled

Date:

Alleges N626m Fraud Under Former Chairman

The National Chairman of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), Prof. Sadiq Abubakar Gombe, has declared that a Federal High Court judgment delivered on Tuesday reaffirmed the party’s leadership and validated its governorship candidate nomination process ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Advertisement

Addressing journalists in Abuja on Wednesday, Gombe said the judgment effectively settled attempts by expelled party members to challenge the party’s leadership and candidate nominations through what he described as “the back door.”

He maintained that the National Working Committee (NWC) led by him remains the authentic leadership of the SDP, recognised by both the party and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

Advertisement

The SDP chairman said the party had successfully conducted its national convention, elected its presidential candidate, Dr Adewole Adebayo, and uploaded its presidential, National Assembly and governorship candidates to the INEC portal within the stipulated timelines.

Gombe also alleged massive financial mismanagement under the party’s former leadership, claiming that investigations into the party’s bank accounts uncovered suspicious transactions amounting to over N626 million.

Advertisement

According to him, a review of bank statements revealed about 203 transactions within one year, with nearly 79 per cent of the funds allegedly traced to a single individual linked to the expelled former national chairman.

He disclosed that the party had petitioned the Inspector-General of Police and submitted relevant documents to INEC for further investigation and possible prosecution.

Advertisement

The SDP chairman further accused the former chairman of obtaining court orders through misrepresentation after being expelled from the party, insisting that the Supreme Court had already settled all issues relating to the party’s internal affairs and leadership.

Gombe called on INEC, the judiciary and security agencies to remain vigilant against individuals he described as determined to derail the electoral process.

Advertisement

He expressed confidence that the SDP would present credible candidates for the presidency, governorship, National Assembly and state assembly elections in 2027, assuring Nigerians that the party remained committed to providing a viable alternative for good governance.

“We are set to provide Nigerians with a credible alternative in 2027. Despite the challenges, the SDP remains united, law-abiding and committed to transparency, accountability and national development,” he said.

Advertisement

Please follow and like us:

Source: Politics Archives – New Telegraph

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

FULL LIST: FIFA lists over 60 players with four, more World Cup appearances

See the official FIFA list of over 60 footballers with four or more World Cup appearances, including Messi and Ronaldo's record-breaking six tournaments.

Nigeria’s Inflation Rate Drops To 15.43% In July ⁩

Nigeria’s headline inflation rate dropped to 15.43 percent in July 2026 from 15.91 percent recorded in June, according to the latest Consumer Price Index (CPI) report released by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS).

BBNaija season 11: Kamsy becomes third housemate to be evicted

Kamsy has been evicted from the ongoing Big Brother Naija reality show. She became the third contestant to be evicted from the ongoing season 11 'Show Ya

Cameroon Outclass Malawi To Clinch First-Ever WAFCON Title

Cameroon cruised to a 3-0 victory over tournament debutants Malawi to claim their first ever Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (Wafcon) title, Yahoo Sports reports. Marie Ngah Manga’s close-range header put the Indomitable Lionesses ahead in the 20th minute and Naomi Eto doubled the lead…