ADC seeks Nafiu Gombe’s prosecution over forged INEC portal claim

Date:

ADC seeks Nafiu Gombe’s prosecution over forged INEC portal claim

The African Democratic Congress has called for the investigation and prosecution of its factional leader, Nafiu Gombe, following the Independent National Electoral Commission’s clarification that claims that Gombe uploaded the party’s candidates for the 2027 general election through the commission’s nomination portal were false.

The party made the demand in a statement issued on Tuesday by its National Publicity Secretary, Bolaji Abdullahi, following INEC’s clarification that it did not grant Bala access codes to its restricted nomination portal and that only the David Mark-led National Executive Committee is recognised by the electoral body.

The latest development is the newest twist in the prolonged leadership crisis rocking the ADC, which has pitched the David Mark-led leadership against a rival faction headed by Bala.

The dispute has triggered multiple court cases, protests and disagreements over the party’s legitimate leadership ahead of preparations for the 2027 general election.

Reacting to INEC’s clarification, the ADC welcomed the commission’s position and accused Bala of attempting to mislead Nigerians. The party said the issue had gone beyond political disagreements and now bordered on an alleged attempt to deceive the public.

The statement partly read, “The African Democratic Congress (ADC) welcomes the prompt clarification by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), which unequivocally confirmed that the document circulated by Mr. Nafiu Bala purporting to show that he had obtained the Commission’s access code and uploaded candidates on behalf of the ADC for the 2027 general election was forged, and that the claim itself was entirely false.

“The issue before us is no longer simply about the continuous false statements that have been issued by Nafiu Bala Gombe at the behest of his sponsors. It is about the clear and unmistakable attempt to mislead the Nigerian public.”

The ADC argued that falsely claiming access to INEC’s restricted nomination portal was a serious allegation that should attract the attention of security agencies.

The opposition party consequently urged the electoral commission to ensure that everyone connected with the alleged false claim is investigated and prosecuted.

“To publicly claim that one has gained access to INEC’s restricted nomination platform and exercised powers reserved for duly recognised party officials is a grave matter that deserves the immediate attention of law enforcement agencies.”

“As a responsible party, the ADC therefore calls on INEC to take all the necessary steps to ensure that Mr Nafiu Bala and anyone else involved in originating or promoting this falsehood are investigated and prosecuted in accordance with the law”, the party stated.

PUNCH Online had earlier reported that Atiku Abubakar’s Media Office accused INEC of granting Bala access to the commission’s nomination portal, an allegation the electoral body subsequently denied.

However, in an exclusive interview with PUNCH Online on Monday, a senior INEC official said the commission did not issue any access code to Bala, stressing that only the David Mark-led leadership is recognised by the commission and authorised to access the nomination portal.

Rotimi Agbana

Rotimi, with over 12 years of quality media experience, reports entertainment and politics

Stay informed and ahead of the curve! Follow The Punch Newspaper on WhatsApp for real-time updates, breaking news, and exclusive content. Don’t miss a headline – join now!

Join The Punch Newspapers Channel

Stay in the know—fast. Get instant alerts, breaking headlines, and exclusive stories with the Punch News App. Download now and never miss a beat.

Get the Punch News App

Source: Punch Newspapers – Latest News

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

FULL LIST: FIFA lists over 60 players with four, more World Cup appearances

See the official FIFA list of over 60 footballers with four or more World Cup appearances, including Messi and Ronaldo's record-breaking six tournaments.

Nigeria’s Inflation Rate Drops To 15.43% In July ⁩

Nigeria’s headline inflation rate dropped to 15.43 percent in July 2026 from 15.91 percent recorded in June, according to the latest Consumer Price Index (CPI) report released by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS).

BBNaija season 11: Kamsy becomes third housemate to be evicted

Kamsy has been evicted from the ongoing Big Brother Naija reality show. She became the third contestant to be evicted from the ongoing season 11 'Show Ya

Cameroon Outclass Malawi To Clinch First-Ever WAFCON Title

Cameroon cruised to a 3-0 victory over tournament debutants Malawi to claim their first ever Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (Wafcon) title, Yahoo Sports reports. Marie Ngah Manga’s close-range header put the Indomitable Lionesses ahead in the 20th minute and Naomi Eto doubled the lead…