Osun Police dismiss assassination claims against Ataoja of Osogbo

Date:

The Osun State Police Command has dismissed claims that a man arrested after entering the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo was on an assassination mission against the monarch.

The command disclosed this in a statement issued on Friday in Osogbo by the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Abiodun Ojelabi, following the outcome of an investigation conducted by a committee headed by the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of the Criminal Investigation Department, DCP Suleiman Kafar Bayonle.

According to the police, “the incident occurred on June 3, 2026, at about 8:45am when a man later identified as Semilola Odunayo Monday, also known as Ankara, allegedly scaled the fence of the Ataoja’s palace and forcibly gained entry into the premises.”

The statement said palace residents and domestic staff challenged the suspect to explain his presence, but he allegedly fled the scene and sustained injuries during a pursuit.

“He was rushed to the UNIOSUN Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, where he was admitted for medical attention,” the police said.

The Command stated that after his condition improved, the suspect was interrogated and admitted to having entered the palace through the fence, but denied any intention to harm the monarch or any other person.

“He stated further that he had no intention to assassinate or harm His Imperial Majesty or any other person and attributed his conduct to excessive admission of substance,” the statement read.

The police investigation also found that the suspect was not carrying any firearm or offensive weapon at the time of his arrest.

According to the statement, “the suspect was arraigned before Magistrate Court II in Osogbo on June 8, 2026, on a charge of attempted felony and was subsequently remanded at a correctional centre.”

The command noted that investigations into the incident remained open and appealed to members of the public as well as palace emissaries, with useful information to come forward.

“The Osun State Police Command remains steadfast in its commitment to safeguarding lives and property and will not relent in its efforts to ensure that all criminal activities are brought to the lowest ebb,” the statement added.

The police reiterated their commitment to carrying out thorough investigations and ensuring that due process is followed in all criminal cases within the state.

Oba Oyetunji had last week alleged an assassination attempt on him, a development the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Osogbo attributed to the poor security in the state.

Source: Daily Post Nigeria

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

PHOTOS: Ballots, faces, other moments from #OsunDecides2026

Through these photographs, DevReporting presents a visual account of #OsunDecides2026.

2baba’s wife Natasha emerges Edo House of Assembly Minority Leader

Natasha Osawaru, the wife of singer 2Baba, has emerged as the Edo State House of Assembly minority leader. The lawmaker representing Egor Constituency was

Super Eagles, Super Falcons, Others’ Revival: Bazuaye Offers Blueprint, Demands Roles for 1985 Eaglets

Super Eagles, Super Falcons: Bazuaye outlines a revival plan and demands top football roles for members of Nigeria’s 1985 Golden Eaglets.

NFF sacks Super Falcons technical crew after World Cup failure

Before Monday's announcement by the NFF, Justine Madugu had apologised to Nigerians, accepting responsibility for the disappointing results in Morocco. The post NFF sacks Super Falcons technical crew after World Cup failure appeared first on Premium Times Nigeria.