Meloni fires back at Trump, denies asking for G7 photo

Date:

The Italian government has strongly rejected comments attributed to U.S. President Donald Trump suggesting that Italian Prime Minister, Giorgia Meloni ‘begged’ him for a photograph during the recent G7 summit in France.

The controversy erupted on Friday following Trump’s remarks in an interview aired on La7 television. The U.S. president reportedly claimed that Meloni requested a photo opportunity with him during the G7 meeting in Évian-les-Bains and said he obliged despite having no obligation to do so.

The statement sparked swift backlash from Rome, with Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani describing the remarks as serious and offensive to both Prime Minister Meloni and Italy as a whole. Tajani also cancelled a planned trip to the United States scheduled for the weekend in response to the dispute.

In a video message, Prime Minister Meloni firmly dismissed Trump’s account, saying she felt compelled to respond publicly.

“Donald Trump’s statements are completely fabricated. I am frankly stunned,” she said, adding that she did not understand “why the President of the United States behaves this way toward his own allies,” noting that it was not the first time such an incident had occurred.

She explained that she was speaking out because “certain things deserve an immediate response.”

Meloni also criticised Trump’s stance toward Western allies, stating:

“I can only say that it is a shame he does not show the same determination toward the enemies of the West, toward the enemies of the United States, toward leaders with whom he is, instead, much more accommodating.”

She concluded emphatically: “But there is one thing he must remember: Italy and I do not beg.”

The White House has not yet issued a response to Meloni’s remarks.

The exchange highlights growing diplomatic tensions between Washington and Rome on several global issues. Although Meloni was previously viewed as one of Trump’s closest European allies, relations have reportedly become strained over disagreements concerning the Iran conflict, the war in Ukraine, U.S. tariffs, and Washington’s support for Israel’s operations in Gaza.

Following Meloni’s response, several senior Italian officials voiced support for the Prime Minister across party lines.

Transport Minister Matteo Salvini stated: “Whoever attacks @GiorgiaMeloni attacks all of us.”

Justice Minister Carlo Nordio also condemned Trump’s remarks, noting:

“The thousands of crosses marking the graves of American soldiers who died to free us from Nazi-Fascist dictatorship did not deserve such a painful blow to our fraternal ties.”

Defence Minister Guido Crosetto dismissed the suggestion that Meloni would request a photograph in such a manner, adding:

“I can, however, imagine how much it cost her to set aside what Trump had said weeks ago, to serve the interests of Italy, of Europe, and of the West. Jokes of this kind do no good to anyone: neither to the USA, nor to Italy, nor to the alliance.”

Before Trump’s 2025 inauguration, Meloni visited him at Mar-a-Lago, where she described their discussions as productive, and Trump has previously praised her on several occasions.

Source: Daily Post Nigeria

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

FULL LIST: FIFA lists over 60 players with four, more World Cup appearances

See the official FIFA list of over 60 footballers with four or more World Cup appearances, including Messi and Ronaldo's record-breaking six tournaments.

Nigeria’s Inflation Rate Drops To 15.43% In July ⁩

Nigeria’s headline inflation rate dropped to 15.43 percent in July 2026 from 15.91 percent recorded in June, according to the latest Consumer Price Index (CPI) report released by the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS).

BBNaija season 11: Kamsy becomes third housemate to be evicted

Kamsy has been evicted from the ongoing Big Brother Naija reality show. She became the third contestant to be evicted from the ongoing season 11 'Show Ya

Cameroon Outclass Malawi To Clinch First-Ever WAFCON Title

Cameroon cruised to a 3-0 victory over tournament debutants Malawi to claim their first ever Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (Wafcon) title, Yahoo Sports reports. Marie Ngah Manga’s close-range header put the Indomitable Lionesses ahead in the 20th minute and Naomi Eto doubled the lead…